Wednesday, December 10, 2014

End of Day

See the mist hide the mountains
and the trees scratch the sky
and the sun paint the clouds
as it slips down to waken another hemisphere.

Soon it will be night.
There are few evenings left for me
to watch this sunset
and see the houses around me fade to grey masses with
rectangles of light.
Even in the dark they are familiar
with familiar faces inside,
which I find comforting.

Soon all the houses around me will be strangers,
And the room I am in
will no longer be my son's.
Perhaps another little boy will sleep in it.
And I will have new houses to meet and get used to.

The sun has gone now--
Soon it will be too dark to see my notebook.
The day is ending, as all things must,
including my sojourn here
With its sweetly familiar mountains.

2 comments: