Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Beautiful Things

My house is not beautiful;
No art from Etsy here.
Just ugly hand-me-down lamps
And cheap laminate furniture.
Drab walls, all the same color
And a carpet that needs cleaning.

I have a dreamplace,
A home I pretend to have
With white cabinets
And walls painted in favorite hues.
Pretty curtains hang from the windows
And everything is clean.
“A place for everything, and everything in its place”
Is the motto of this dream,
But these beautiful things are a long time coming.

 Instead of curtains, paintings, and vintage picture frames,
My home is decorated with little fingerprints
And the occasional crayon mark
And dinner, splattered and dried,
And scribbled pictures tacked to the door. 
The theme of my bedroom is “laundry”
And the living room’s is “toys.”

 No, my house is not pretty,
And our few beautiful, breakable things are kept up high,
Out of the children’s grasp.
But I am in the business of making a home,
Not designing a house.
Designing will come later.
Now, my art is in creating a world
Of safety, peace, joy, and belonging,
Where the stuff of life is learned,
Laughter sings loud,
And the strength of love is felt.


Perhaps, someday, I will decorate
And make my house look just right.
But for now, these will suffice:
Giggles, picture books, tiny toes,
First steps, first words, and smiles.
My house is not beautiful,
But my home is.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Sarah, it really resonated with me. Sometimes I feel a little embarrassed when I go into other houses and compare their beautifully decorated homes with mine (decorated with little fingerprints as you say) But I feel so happy here. I'd like to continue to work towards beautifying my house but I am so satisfied with how beautiful my home is. And that seems more important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, Ellie! I'm glad you liked it! A lot of my writing comes out when I'm trying to come to terms with something, or change my way of thinking. I am still learning the lesson of this poem every day. Some days I do better at accepting it than others!

    ReplyDelete